Selecting the Right Custom Home Plan
Selecting your perfect custom home plan to build can be a very lengthy and consuming task! To help you find precisely what you are looking for, the Nelson Design Group has prepared a short guide to narrow your search down.
- Why do you want a custom home? Does your current home not have what you are looking for in a home? Perhaps you are expecting a child or two in the future and need the extra bedroom(s). Or as simple as wanting more space for that laundry room you always wanted.
- Will this home fit your family in ten years? Are there rooms you will need in the future and can your custom home plan adapt in the future to accommodate these changes?
- Your custom home, does it align with the coding laws for the build site? Always best to check with the coding enforcement office at the proposed build site prior to purchase.
- In your custom home plans, are the windows facing the direction you want for morning and evening sun? This might seem trivial in context, however a few minutes to consider this could be the difference between high energy bills and beautiful mornings and evening.
- Will your custom home stand out from the surrounding homes? Most times, strict coding laws prevent certain aesthetics in neighborhoods.
- How many changes to your custom home plans are you committed to in order to fit the home to your liking? Coding laws, plot sizes and strict homeowners association rules can severely limit the appearance and size of your new home.
- Are the proposed rooms sized appropriately to your family? Consider modifying your plan to suit your lifestyle. For example, you don’t need 20 percent of your entire floor to a master suite if you only sleep in it. Consider shrinking the amount of space in your master suite and appropriating the space elsewhere if that’s the case.
The Nelson Design Group urges all customers to consider these questions prior to starting and custom home build. As always, we stand ready to assist and answer all of your questions!